The inn was mentioned in the Ipswich Journal of July 1821, and in 1844 the ‘Duke of Marlboro’ was occupied by Robert Raynham who, as a licensed victualler, supplied food as well as ale –indicating the property was a respectable inn rather than an alehouse.
Two unnamed ‘beerhouses’ were mentioned at the same time, and presumably equate to the other known village pubs, the King’s Head and the Griffin.
The 1851 census names Isaac Flory as an ‘innkeeper’ (who lived there with his wife and baby daughter along with three lodgers).
By 1861 it was occupied by William Green, an innkeeper and ‘dealer’ (probably in horses or cattle). The inn’s name changed soon afterwards, and was given as the ‘Marlbro Head’ on the Ordnance Survey of 1884.